Wishing: that every week was Negroni Week if these are the things that distillers come up with Continue reading
01. I’m obsessed with caprese salad, so it stands to reason I’ll be obsessed with caprese skillet lasagne.
02. Eeek! Will be starting #20BooksofSummer tomorrow (my May reading took longer than expected). Continue reading
01. I did get to the German Film Festival – Balloon was brilliant. Tense, but brilliant (and I drove home feeling like the Stasi were following me). Hoping to get to at least one more Festival film. Continue reading
You might remember my feelings about the Neapolitan series (if not, read them here, here, and here). In short, I didn’t love the books. Other readers were raving. I was disappointed.
So why watch the tv series? I really just wanted some glimpses of Naples. But what I got was so much more.
I LOVED this series – for capturing the close, suffocating and violent world of Lila and Lenù. For letting the excellent cast say in a glance or a grimace what Ferrante said over endless pages. The series had tension and menace and love. You saw the insecurities and determination in the girls. Clearly this is all the stuff I missed in the books.
I’m doing what I vowed I wouldn’t – going back for the final instalment – part four, The Story of the Lost Child. And I’m already looking forward to season two.
Enjoying: selecting my Easter holiday reading. Continue reading
01. Yay! Favel Parrett has a new book coming in September – There Was Still Love.
02. And there was a hint from Heather Rose about her new book… Continue reading
01. It makes me very happy to think that most of these kids (approximately 30,000 at the Melbourne Climate Change protest) will be voting within five years (pic above taken by my 16yo son. Pic below via Twitter).
01. A cloud I wish I hadn’t seen – pyrocumulus. Bushfires have been burning out of control in many parts of Victoria – this cloud (pic taken by my friend, Sonali) is from the Bunyip fires that are burning 100km from Melbourne. Continue reading
01. Sunset, taken on my lovely weekend with my lovely mothers group at Phillip Island (our ‘babies’ are 16 now!). Continue reading
01. We had our annual international night with friends last week. This year’s country was Argentina – empanadas, Quilmes, Provoleta, Malbec, big steaks, chimichurri, sweet potato jelly (!) and Argentina’s answer to chocolate ripple cake (before you go rushing to make this cake, know that is was almost unbearably sweet – I’ll stick with the empanadas and grilled cheese). Continue reading