I’ve never been particularly interested in crime novels, mysteries, or courtroom dramas, and until I listened to the Serial podcast, true crime was also on the ‘not particularly interested’ list. But there was something about the meticulously produced Serial that sucked me in (and it wasn’t just Sarah Koenig’s dulcet tones). Since that time, I’ve listened to other true crime podcasts and read a few books.
Liz Porter’s book, Written on the Skin – An Australian Forensic Casebook grabbed my attention because of the chapters on the use of DNA testing in forensic science – genes are always interesting! Continue reading
01. I went to the Lionel Richie concert on Sunday night. We were Dancing On the Ceiling All Night Long. Sure, some might consider his ballads cheesy but I can’t resist singing along to Hello, Truly and Say You, Say Me. Continue reading
Anticipating: the Marimekko exhibition at Bendigo Art Gallery. Continue reading
01. I went to ’80s Mania’ a fortnight ago – Cutting Crew, Paul Young, Wang Chung, Go West and Taylor Dayne. I know, brilliant line up and they were all realistic about their performance (I think it was Cutting Crew who began by saying “We’re only playing four songs. One you’ll think was by REO Speedwagon and one you’ll know…I guess we could just play that one three times?!” Continue reading
Usually at the end of uni, I set myself a few arbitrary, ‘first world’ tasks. There’s obviously nothing pressing about spring-cleaning my list of podcasts… but the little icon that shows the number of unplayed episodes is at a point that seems to induce anxiety in people who pick up my phone…
Feeling: somewhat anxious about the YES vote (worried people will be complacent about voting, a la Brexit and Trump). Continue reading
01. Saw two great shows last week – My Dad Wrote a Porno Live and MTC’s Di and Viv and Rose. Laughed my head off in one show and cried my eyes out in the other. Continue reading
01. Michael Bond will be missed but his wonderful voice will live on. Paddington is far more relevant today than some people realise – he is, after all, an immigrant, just trying to make a home in a new place.
“It’s as I said in the beginning … young [Paddington] Brown has a way of bringing people closer together in the end.” Continue reading
Enjoying: standing on the soccer/ footy/ basketball/ lacrosse sidelines Continue reading
01. I went to a Melbourne Food and Wine Festival class last weekend – we made punch (I think that’s a responsible way of saying ‘big batch cocktails’). Anyway, now I need a retro punch bowl and a new Pinterest board so that I can start collecting punch recipes. Continue reading