01. I had an ace day in the Yarra Valley last week (much wine, a superb lunch at Tarra Warra, and my first visit to Four Pillars distillery where the sales staff probably made their monthly quota after our visit – specifically ‘Espy’ Gin, breakfast negroni, and because I love negronis, this). Continue reading
01. It’s school holidays in Australia. We spent a few days with family in Kyneton (with some mountain-biking in Harcourt and a hike to the summit of Hanging Rock). Continue reading
01. Look up! My horseshoe vortex is included in the new cloud spotters book, A Cloud a Day by Gavin Prector-Pinney. My copy arrived today and it’s beautiful – embossed hard cover; photographs on every page, each accompanied by some cloud science or a reflection; quotes and art work featuring clouds – p.55 is especially good 😉 Continue reading
01. Yay! Favel Parrett has a new book coming in September – There Was Still Love.
02. And there was a hint from Heather Rose about her new book… Continue reading
01. We had our annual international night with friends last week. This year’s country was Argentina – empanadas, Quilmes, Provoleta, Malbec, big steaks, chimichurri, sweet potato jelly (!) and Argentina’s answer to chocolate ripple cake (before you go rushing to make this cake, know that is was almost unbearably sweet – I’ll stick with the empanadas and grilled cheese). Continue reading
Last year, Jo at the Book Skeptic visited a new-to-her bookshop each month. I very much enjoyed these posts (and the vicarious book-buying!). While I doubt that I will have twelve new-to-me bookshops to profile this year, I’m following Jo’s lead and will share the treasures I come across.
The first is The Bookshop at Queenscliff. Continue reading
01. Mrs Roth, with her dextrous but controversial Continental knitting style scares the hell out of me.
“…prepare their needles for combat…”
“…something on her needles all the time, from ladies dresses to men’s cardigans…”
“You can tell the temperament of the woman by just how she’s knitting.”
What I want to know – WHO WON?! Continue reading
01. So it really has been ages since I did a Bookish post… Over the last two months I’ve had a terrific holiday in Hong Kong; had a tense wait for results after having three more moles removed (all clear. Get your skin checked everyone); wrote eleventy-billion words for uni; and moved house. Our new house has a superb Crepe Myrtle in the backyard. I can’t wait to see it flower. Continue reading
I saw this on Twitter. Isn’t it brilliant?