01. My 16yo returned from his sailing adventure. They motored into Williamstown, with the crew on the masts. It was an incredible sight, and a fitting end to what I think was a life-changing fortnight.
02. I’m not going to pretend otherwise, I’m not a fan of Australia’s 2020 Eurovision song.
03. My Eurovision Australia Decides votes went to Iota and Jack Vidgen. I also expected Mitch Tambo to poll better.
04. And on the topic of let downs, I just don’t feel enthused about the Stella Prize longlist reading this year. I’ve thought about the list since the announcement and it seems, more than any other year, we’re not comparing apples with apples (so to speak). Is the list ‘too diverse’ in terms of genre? I’ll start my reading but it won’t be at the furious pace of previous years.
05. Watching season two of Sweetbitter… it’s pretty bad. I’m finding it very difficult to stay with the idea that this stuck-in-the-eighties restaurant is the centre of the world for so many people, and for so many years. And the patriarch/ matriarch thing that Howard and Simone have going on is just plain weird.
06. On a brighter note – is a movie version of Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret on the way?
07. This is a bit of fun – discover what colour your name is (oddly, my son Finn’s name is orange, white and green, just in case there’s any doubt about its heritage!).
08. I like good books and bad TV. No apologies.
09. Saw Missy Higgins at the Zoo Twilights this week – love her new release, Carry You.
Bookish Thoughts is hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous. Pop by, say hi.