01. I went to a Melbourne Food and Wine Festival class last weekend – we made punch (I think that’s a responsible way of saying ‘big batch cocktails’). Anyway, now I need a retro punch bowl and a new Pinterest board so that I can start collecting punch recipes.
02. The best punch was the Citrus Milk Punch (circa 1711) (bottom right in the pic). I know, it sounds revolting but thanks to a bit of clever liquid alchemy, the milk clarifies and you’re left with the texture of the whey but not the creaminess. More about milk punch here.
03. I blame my lack of reading over the last week on S-Town. Wow. The creativity, research and care taken with this story is truly remarkable.
04. And this song from the S-Town soundtrack is haunting me now…
05. The 2017 Baileys Prize shortlist looks excellent. I haven’t read any yet but will be starting with Stay With Me by Ayọ̀bámi Adébáyọ̀̀.
06. I love this book group’s blog.
07. I went to a Wheeler Centre talk tonight about the AFL and women’s sport. Such a positive night and the start of exciting times. My daughter’s favourite player*, Darcy Vescio, signed this book for her. My daughter loves Darcy because “She plays footy and is also a graphic designer” – to my art-and-sport-crazy daughter, this is the perfect life.
08. I’m about to head into a big, stressful but exciting few weeks (so I might not be around these parts much for the rest of the month).
*Melburnians will appreciate the victory in the fact that my previously Essendon supporting daughter is barracking for Carlton in the AFLW – my greatest achievement of 2017.
Bookish Thoughts is hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous. Pop by, say hi.