This week, the crew behind Top Ten Tuesday suggested we revisit our favourite childhood characters and speculate on where they might be now. I’m flouting the rules and leaving my favourites JUST THE WAY THEY ARE.
10. Ramona / Beverly Cleary – the master of ‘how to be a sibling’.
09. Alice / Lewis Carroll – I’ll never tire of reading Alice.
08. Pollyanna / Eleanor Porter – the ‘glad game’ – blind optimism or a 1920s version of mindfulness?
07. Anne / Anne of Green Gables / L.M. Montgomery – because allowing your imagination to run wild is an excellent idea.
06. Erica Yurken / Hating Alison Ashley / Robin Klein – we all knew an Alison Ashley in primary school.
05. Jessica and Elizabeth / Sweet Valley High / Francine Pascall – I think about SVH far more than a grown-up should…
04. Margaret / Judy Blume – nothing more needed except to say “We must, we must, we must increase our bust…”
03. Jo / Little Women / Louisa May Allcott – wonderful, bookish, hero…
02. Milly Molly Mandy / Joyce Lankester Brisley – I didn’t know what ‘stuff’ was but I did want to take a penny to Miss Muggins’ shop and buy some. Also: maps.
01. Elizabeth Allen / Naughtiest Girl / Enid Blyton – the root of my deep-love for boarding school stories.