I’m as tight as all-get-out when it comes to handing out five stars. Do I even have enough (after four and a half years of blogging) to put together a list of ten? Just.
It’s Top Ten Tuesday and the topic is ‘Ten of My Most Recent Five Star Reads’ (there’s no legitimate reason for the gratuitous Paul Newman pic, I just felt like it).
So, in case you missed me banging on about these books the first time, here are my most recent winners –
1. Rush Oh! by Shirley Barrett – for historical fiction with the driest of humour.
2. The Night Rainbow by Claire King – for an unforgettable character (who might make you cry).
3. Hausfrau by Jill Alexander Essbaum – for an OMG moment.
4. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara – to be honest, it’s the first time I’ve recommended this book.
5. The Golden Age by Joan London – to see how a master creates a sense of time and place.
6. The Natural Way of Things by Charlotte Wood – the most relevant book of the decade? Yes.
7. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler – avoid spoilers and enjoy the ride.
8. Burial Rites by Hannah Kent – best books I’ve read recently? Pfft. This is one of the best books I’ve read. Ever.
9. 99 Reasons Why by Caroline Smailes – who knew e-book publishing could be SO MUCH FUN?
10. Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner – for a perfect dissection of relationships.