1. I spent last Sunday night in the presence of Her Madgesty. Here are some of my thoughts (in chronological order):
- What should I wear to a Madge concert? Desperately Seeking Susan biker-chic? Some La Isla Bonita ruffles? Some structured Vogue corsetry? Some Music gangsta-luxe?
- Certainly a mixed crowd here tonight… *note to self: glad I didn’t date myself by choosing to dress in my favourite Madonna era*
- Well… No mistaking what THAT stage is supposed to be.
- Holy hell. Madge is 57. Fifty-frickin-seven and she does eleventy-million squats as part of her dance routine every concert. My knees hurt just watching.
- Lucky I’m comfortable with the word fuck. And pole-dancing nuns.
- Oh look! Madonna’s in her undies on the Last Supper table. That’s a surprise (but pole-dancing nuns weren’t…)
- Brief Borderline regret but she played Like a Prayer and it’s like an angel sighing.
- And True Blue! We were bouncing in our sensible-for-a-concert-but-still-age-appropriately-stylish shoes.
- Best. Concert. Ever.
2. The Stella Prize Book Club is underway. All the action is over on Twitter on Monday nights. It’s tops.
3. In honour of St.Patrick’s Day (and the fact that I have my own Patrick), this and my very, very favourite:
I never get tired of listening to Mary’s voice (“Poor Patrick!”).
4. And this pic of the dome in the Reading Room in Dublin’s National Library. Beautiful.
5. I love these modern mixtapes.
6. This story about a penguin made something suddenly get in my eye…
7. 400 kinds of mother’s ruin? Can I sponsor my own bar stool?
Bookish Thoughts is hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous. Pop over and say hi.