I was standing in a supermarket queue with my son (who was about three at the time) – he had just put on a big performance over not being allowed anything from the wretched lolly display at the checkout. “But I need some!” he wailed. I calmly replied, “You want some, you don’t need them. Want and need are different things.” A woman standing behind me sniggered and, gesturing to her stack of shopping bags said “I needed all this!”
Yes, we’re grown-ups and we understand the difference between want and need. So we also appreciate that I need all of the following:
10. Perfume. That smells like paper. Perfect.
9. Flamingo croquet set (found here). Two facts about me: I love Alice and I played competitive croquet for a few years.
8. Never forget.
7. Jane Austen plasters – seriously, who doesn’t need these?
6. This Gatsby clutch from Kate Spade.
5. Wallpaper. In the right spot, with the right quote…
4. Bookends (made by Garth Borovika) – there’s something nostalgic about these for me…. Ironically, I own lots of bookends but have nowhere to put them (because all of my book shelves are completely filled).
3. Literary thumbprint. All the cool.
2. A Dick Bruna original. If only I had a spare £1500.
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.