I read the book before I see the film. Almost always.
This week’s Top Ten Tuesday topic (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) is about Best/Worst Movie Adaptations. I covered my favourite movie adaptations here and I simply won’t dwell on the worst (it’s the Pollyanna in me). So, with a slight tweak to the topic, my top ten covers great movies I’ve seen before reading the book*.
1. Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick; movie starring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence – because Bradley Cooper (see gratuitous pic above if in doubt… and there’s another one at the end because I have no shame).
2. The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings; movie starring George Clooney – because George Clooney.
3. Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates; movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet – because when husband picks a film, I’m just happy to watch it.
4. Little Children by Tom Perrotta; movie starring Kate Winslet and Patrick Wilson – Found the film so disturbing that it has taken me years to work up to the book.
5. Election by Tom Perrotta; movie starring Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon – could not be more different from Little Children.
6. Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen; movie starring Meryl Streep and Robert Redford – because Robert Redford
7. Dangerous Liaisons by Choderlos de Laclos; movie starring Glenn Close and John Malkovich – because costume spectacular.
8. Howard’s End by E. M. Forster; movie starring Anthony Hopkins and Helen Bonham Carter – because Merchant Ivory and E. M. Forster.
9. The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James; movie starring Nicole Kidman – because for once Kidman is perfectly cast.
10. Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson; movie starring Frances McDormand – because Art Deco amazingness.
*Haven’t read all of the books… Yet.